Friday, 2 March 2012

Vinyl messenger bag from comic books

Fuelled on with enthusiasm from my Thunderbird wallet I thought I'd have a go at a messenger bag. I thought for a while about dimensions, then realised these were pretty much decided for me with the size of the comic book pages. I laid 6 pages out as shown - the arrows on the second picture show the top of the page. 



I then sandwiched the pages in between 2 sheets of vinyl. I smoothed out the bubbles and creases then sewed it together. 
I made one line of stitching on the vinyl outside of the paper (no. 3 straight stitch - large so as not to rip the vinyl) and one line over the paper as seen in the close up. 




I folded one side 1/3 of the way up and then sewed along the sides. I then turned inside out. I'm not sure if I would do this step again another side as turning inside out very slightly damaged the paper by creasing it. It might be better to expose the seams. Anyway the creases didn't really show in the end so I'm still undecided what would be best.
I added a strap and reinforced the bottom with  a strip of strong cardboard wrapped in comic book and vinyl.




Joplin loves it! He has put all his Thunderbird toys in it already!




Your comments make my day! Do let me know what you think!