Friday, 2 March 2012

Sewing with laminated paper, and vinyl wallets from comic books

I have been wanting to try out sewing with paper into useful items for a while now and so with a birthday pressie needed for my Auntie I thought I'd give it a go.
I printed and laminated an old style airmail envelope bearing her birthday and address (blurred on photos).  I was limited to what could be done with an A4 sheet so I thought a pencil case could work. I folded it to show front and back envelope sides then sewed in a zip. This was a little tricky as the laminated paper didn't have much give, but with my zipper foot and sewing with the zip open it went in Ok. I then sewed up the sides. I stitched over the zip ends a few times then trimmed it with scissors.





I was pleased with how it turned out but ideally I wanted something with a bit more flexibility. I thought I'd try vinyl.

I scored a good find on ebay this week - a huge stack of Thunderbirds magazines! 87 in total for just a couple of pounds! Whilst I'm sure Joplin (and Dan!) are going to be over the moon with them and will fill a few birthday and Christmas pressies for the next 40 or so years, I figured the enthusiasm would fade certainly by issue 80, so I thought I would upcycle the last few into of some use!

I thought I'd start by a small card / business card holder. I cut a strip of comic book one width wide - approx 8" X 3". I roughly cut the vinyl to cover the whole thing X 2 and an extra couple to cover each end approx 2.5'' over. I sandwiched the  comic book in-between the vinyl and laid the extra pieces either end.



I sewed along the vinyl on the edge of the paper and then over the paper and the vinyl. I made it quite a large stitch (no. 3) so the vinyl wouldn't rip. 




It came out quite well and seems pretty strong and durable. 








Your comments make my day! Do let me know what you think!